Here are some tips for purchasing upholstered sofas and chairs.
1) Consider the comfort factor. Choose pieces that are neither too soft or too firm.
2) Choose pieces with soft pillows, not hard foam. If a piece has hard form and you still want it, add soft down pillows to it.
3) Look for well-proportioned pieces with “good bones.” Make sure they are made of hardwood framing and have solid construction.
4) Check the feet. If they are exposed, are they substantial? Does the wood on the feet complement the rest of the furniture in the room?
5) Make sure the piece is nicely tailored and the fabric is comfortable on your skin.