A recent public notice was posted in the Killeen Daily Herald (May 12, 2011) by the Bell County Tax district. It is a notification on how to file a Property Tax Protest and Appeal Procedures. You may file an appeal if you have a concern about:
- The market or appraised value of your property
- The unequal appraisal of your property
- The inclusion of your property on the appraisal roll
- Any exemption that may apply to you
- The qualification of an agricultural or timber exemption
- The taxable status of your property
- The local governments which should be taxing your property
- The ownership of the property
- The change of use of the land receiving special appraisal
- Any action taken by the chief appraiser, appraisal district or appraisal review board applies to and adversely affects you
USUAL DEADLINE is: On or before May 31 (or 30 days after a notice of appraised value is mailed to you, whichever is later).
WHAT TO LOOK AT: Go to www.bellcad.org and enter your name. Open up your property and click “Expand”. Check to insure the data entered on your property is accurate in the following areas.
- Legal description is correct (verify from your closing documents or call your REALTOR)
- Address is correct
- Names are correct
- Assed value makes sense (check other homes in the neighborhood by searching their address)
- Homestead Exemption is in place (check Taxable Value for KISD it should be $15,000 less)
- The improvements are correct (sq. ft. of living space, garage, porches, pool, fireplace, etc.)
- Land is correct (Acres and Sq. Ft. match your survey Front and Depth may not)
Based on the housing market, values more than likely should not have gone up unless you had additional improvements made during the last year or any improvements that were not previously listed. If you fill that your assed value is incorrect contact the appraisal district. For Bell County: Belton (254) 939-5841, Killeen (254) 634-9752, Temple (254) 771-1108. If you live in Lampasas County go to www.lampasascad.org and for Coryell County www.coryellcad.org.