A typical maintenance check-up should include:
– Check thermostat calibration and settings to ensure the cooling and heating system keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
– Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors. Faulty electrical connections can cause unsafe operation of your system and reduce the life of major components.
– Lubricate all moving parts. Motors without sufficient lubrication will have excessive friction and will overheat. This will increase the amount of electricity consumed by the air conditioner or heater.
– Check and inspect the condensate drain in your central air conditioner, furnace and/or heat pump (when in cooling mode). A plugged drain can cause water damage in the house and affect indoor humidity levels.
– Check controls of the system to ensure proper and safe operation. Check the starting cycle of the equipment to assure the system starts, operates and shuts off properly.